Thank you for signing up. 

We've sent you an email. Please click on the link to verify your address.

Win big with FREE Tips from our experts

Get our professional tips mailed direct

No spam ever. Unsubscribe in one click. By submitting your email address, you indicate your consent to receiving email marketing messages from us.

Liverpool FC reject £114million bid from FC Barcelona for Coutinho

Jon Wilde 18 Aug 2017
Philippe Coutinho of Liverpool during their pre-season friendly match against Wigan Athletic (credit: Getty Images)

Liverpool have rejected a third bid from Barcelona for Philippe Coutinho, believed to be in the region of £114million.

Last week, the Reds turned down a £90million bid from the Spanish giants for the 25-year-old Brazil attacking midfielder, who then submitted a transfer request.

Coutinho has missed the opening two matches of Liverpool's season with a back injury, but the club has repeatedly stressed he is not for sale.

Despite that, Barca have previously said they are “close” to signing him.

Responding to Barcelona general manager Pep Segura's claim that a deal was close, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said:

“I don't know why other people are saying what they are saying. I don't even know them, especially this guy. I've never even met him.”

The La Liga club have moved for Coutinho after selling his Brazil team-mate Neymar to Paris Saint-Germain for a world record transfer fee of just under £200m, and they are also trying to sign French winger Ousmane Dembele from Borussia Dortmund.

Coutinho signed a new five-year contract at Anfield in January which did not include a release clause.

He is also set to miss Saturday's home Premier League match against Crystal Palace after not being involved in the 3-3 draw at Watford or the 2-1 Champions League play-off first-leg match away to Hoffenheim.

Liverpool's instant dismissal of Barcelona's third offer is further hard evidence of the determination within the club that they will not be forced into selling their prize asset under any circumstances.

Fenway Sports Group, and manager Klopp, remain unmoved by Barcelona's increased financial inducements - as well as a transfer request from a player who has clearly had his head turned.

Liverpool regard this latest bid as irrelevant because their stance, as it has been from day one, is that Coutinho will not be sold.

It remains to be seen whether Barcelona will continue with their pursuit of Coutinho until the transfer deadline on September 1 or if they will switch targets, with Paris Saint-Germain’s Angel di Maria and Monaco’s Kylian Mbappe also having been linked with a move to the Catalan club.


Upcoming Events

Share this with your friends

To:
From:
Your comments:

Liverpool FC reject £114million bid from FC Barcelona for Coutinho

Liverpool have rejected a third bid from Barcelona for Philippe Coutinho, believed to be in the region of £114million.

Read more »

You have unread messages

You have unread messages